View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 04:09 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Av8tor0773 View Post
Y, if you go into the Guard or the USAR, you will NOT be able to get on any AD orders - you will be prohibited from coming on an order that could bring you into sanctuary. So PLEASE think this over - I think it is a really bad idea for you!
Absolutely true re. sanctuary for the Navy. But guard had historically been a lot more tolerant of sanctuary seekers. Is this a recent change? I know several guard people who got a regular retirement in the last decade. Not sure about USAFR.

In years past (and probably years future) I would have said absolutely stay for the 20. But right now there's a tremendous potential opportunity if you get a number assp. There's risk but worst case probably means working a 9-5 job and collecting your retirement at 60, not living in a van down by the river.

It's a different world today, you and I lived a lot of hard years and frankly tend to afford the mil compensation more credit than it's really due.

But everybody has to make their own call vis a via risk tolerance. Few people actually NEED top tier airline compensation, so it comes down to security vs. greed. Although QOL is also a big legit consideration and seniority drives that too.

Last edited by rickair7777; 10-15-2019 at 04:42 AM.