View Single Post
Old 10-15-2019, 11:15 AM
Gundriver64
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Absolutely true re. sanctuary for the Navy. But guard had historically been a lot more tolerant of sanctuary seekers. Is this a recent change? I know several guard people who got a regular retirement in the last decade. Not sure about USAFR.

In years past (and probably years future) I would have said absolutely stay for the 20. But right now there's a tremendous potential opportunity if you get a number assp. There's risk but worst case probably means working a 9-5 job and collecting your retirement at 60, not living in a van down by the river.

It's a different world today, you and I lived a lot of hard years and frankly tend to afford the mil compensation more credit than it's really due.

But everybody has to make their own call vis a via risk tolerance. Few people actually NEED top tier airline compensation, so it comes down to security vs. greed. Although QOL is also a big legit consideration and seniority drives that too.
The USAR will bring guys on knowing they'll be eligible for Sanctuary if they need the shoes filled bad enough. Almost always it revolves around a deployment and a critical, but short-handed skill.