Thread: UPS 2020 Hiring
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2019, 04:54 PM
FTv3
Social Media retired.

Joined APC: May 2018
Default UPS 2020 Hiring

Well, here it is. The annual hiring thread. 2020 looks to be another good year.

Per today’s Chief pilot email: we have hired a little over 260 so far this year and plan to hire more next year (2020).

The Vacancy bid, which gives a good estimate of more exact future hiring needs, will come out following the system bid that many believed should have been issued today. The big shakeup for this particular system bid is that it creates a new domicile, 747 SDF, and this opens up some bidding restraints, eg. relief from any seat locks, downgrade possibilities, etc. Rumor is SDF 747 will start with 90-120 combined CPT/FO positions. ANC MD closing is almost wrapped up and MD SDF flying is rumored to truly be mostly domestic flying now. The point of all this for you potential new hires is that initial fleet and domicile assignments might be a little non conventional / unpredictable in 2020.

I know Boiler has the future aircraft orders list handy so I’ll let him post that but the gist of it is that we continue to take delivery of 747-800s and 767s thru 2020 and beyond. MD retirement seems to be at least a few years off with most rumors pointing to the 2028 timeframe. Any rumors of acquiring a new fleet have all but disappeared. Mandatory retirements continue to trickle upwards.

The company is continuing to grow resulting in expanding operations on the weekends and a third sort during the weekdays. Thus, more flying overall and more day flying options. Like everywhere else, the company has discovered “the optimizer” and you can guess how the effects to our schedules has been. Contract negotiations formally start in Sept 2020 (??). IMHO, this gig continues to enjoy a favorable forecast for those currently in the job market.

I haven’t kept close tabs on hiring stats for the last couple of years but it seems the majority are either civilians with prior Boeing/Airbus experience (ACMI & foreign carriers) or Air Force on the mil side. For civilians anyway, it’s appears mostly the same as it has been: generally higher flight TT (6-8K), check airman / 121 instructor experience, etc. I recall seeing the average age of new hires was in late 30’s...?

That’s all I got. Please add any pertinent info / corrections as you see fit and try to keep the posts factual. Take any questions and commentary to a separate thread so those looking for info don’t have to read through 100 pages of tangents and troll spam. Thanks in advance and good luck to all potential new guys!

Last edited by FTv3; 11-01-2019 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Typos, clarifications.