View Single Post
Old 11-02-2019, 06:38 PM
Gone Flying
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2015
Position: UNA

Originally Posted by hindsight2020 View Post
Southwest tends to be the most friendly of people exploring the MLOA envelope (if I may use a euphemism), based on my anecdotal experience in my last two squadrons. Other than that I would agree, I don't see AA differing too wildly from the mean across part 121 when it comes to junior folks exploiting the benefits of USERRA in airline employment.
about the only way I can think of that an airline could deter MLOA is to place a higher weight on or have a requirement for a certain amount of civilian(121 and 135) flying in the hiring process. this would have the effect of maybe getting fewer military pilots. this is very problematic for airlines though given the large number of pilots separating from the Armed service and I can't think of an airline that would do this (I think this would be a bad idea all around). USERRA is very clear that there is absolutely nothing your civilian employer can do if you choose to take long or short term mil leave as long as you do so within the guidelines of USERRA (which heavily favor members of the armed service over their employer). this was discussed on another thread in the UAL forum but at this point it is a cost that the Gov't is happy to make cooperations pay.