Old 11-09-2019, 02:53 PM
AirBear
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2017
Position: Retired NJA & AA

There were a number of pending lawsuits from Diabetic Pilots that the FAA was going to have a hard time defending since the UK and Canada have had insulin dependent Commercial Pilots flying in and out of the USA for years. I think it was the DOT that forced this issue with the FAA. I hope I'm wrong but I'm afraid the FAA is going to be very picky about who they approve.

The hardware requirements for Continuous Glucose Monitors (CGM) are pretty stringent, I think there's only 2 of those on the market that might meet the FAA requirements and they're very expensive unless your insurance covers them. And you also need full workups by an Endocrinologist, Opthamologist, and Cardiologist. Plus graphs from the FAA approved CGM, and you have to explain any high or low readings. It's not going to be easy. But I'm sure there's Type 1 and 2 Diabetic Pilots out there who can pull this off, if they've been using one of the approved CGM's for the past 6 months they may be able to start the process soon as they get the workups from the Doctors. I think it'll be a few months before we hear anything thou.