View Single Post
Old 11-14-2019, 05:37 PM
TankerDriver
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by AwkwardTurtle View Post
You work 5-10 days a month? How many days are you sitting next to the phone?

By your measure, I get 30 days off every month I bid reserve.
On call 17 days a month, 4-5 days at a time. I don't mind "sitting next to the phone" when they only use me <50% of the time. When you live less than an hour a way, short call is not a bad gig. If you are a commuter and get stuck with PHL 190, it sucks, but if you are local, it's arguably the best deal in the system for a newhire especially if get withheld on it for 1-2 years. Some of us picked the 190 as newhires for a reason.

As what was said before, it is hard to make up time on the 190. Short legs. So the reserves don't get abused too much. The little Bus is a different story and why I am in no rush to move on. As a local living in base, I see no reason to bid a line on the 190. Four 4-day trips doing 4-5 legs a day between BOS-DCA-LGA-RDU will be your life for 16 days a month to end up with 85 hrs when you can work 5-8 days a month for 76. A lot of the short calls end up being day turns also. Again, short call is a different life in the AB. Not sure how long it takes to hold LC on the 190.