View Single Post
Old 01-04-2008, 07:24 AM
Blueridger
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Chrysler Pacifica

Great post Dune.......

I think those coming from a US 121 airline will be surprised at how different the working conditions are at EK. I went to the initial interview keeping an open mind, but what absolutely stunned me is that EK is pretty much all long-haul flying but the days off are ridiculously low!!! They can assign you as few as 8 days off a month, with the average seeming to be 13-14. Heck, I had more days off flying for a regional years ago. Long-haul flying is usually a great gig because of the time off you get AT HOME, but EK makes you work well over half the month. Also, seniority will not buy you any additional vacation periods. 42 days a year (which is great for a new guy), but that is it! Rosters are drawn up for you, there is no hard line bidding. Transitioning between equipment can be impossible and is not seniority based. The list goes on......
I agree that EK is a great gig for someone who is young, preferably single, and has a few years to play with, getting some heavy time and seeing the world, but for anyone else, I think they need to take a long hard look at what life will be like for them should they make the jump.
I think I have already reached my conclusion.