View Single Post
Old 11-20-2019, 05:47 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Texasbound View Post
What is the deal with Self Grounding?

The FAA considers a diagnosis of cancer to be disqualifying and expects the pilot to self ground under FAR 61.53.

So, I can't get a medical until my thyroid cancer has been successfully treated... So how is that self grounding, if they say I can't fly with said condition?

This all makes dealing with the disability people fun. So, your doctors say your cancer is no big deal so you can go to work. But the FAA and your AME will not issue you a medical, and they won't put anything in writing until I request to get my medical back... but they said I can't request it until my treatment is complete...

ugh...
If you really need proof, write them a letter and ask if you can fly since your treatment is going well. That should get a snappy and clear-cut response.

Or you could reference the FAA medical policy guides which AMEs and the FAA uses for policy guidance.

Most generic disability programs have an "own occupation" clause which applies for some period of time maybe 1-3 years, after that you're expected to flip burgers or whatever.

Pilot-specific disability programs are intended for this sort of thing, and you can get them for own-occupation to age 65.