View Single Post
Old 11-22-2019, 08:58 AM
BigKetchup
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2019
Default Peripheral Vision

Just got a report from my neural ophthalmologist that my peripheral vision is limited in the upper-right quadrant of both eyes and to a lesser extent in the lower-right quadrant. Am I screwed on getting a first class medical? I'm wondering what my options are at this point and if I should voluntarily submit the test results to the FAA. I've heard about the SODA program but there's so much uncertainty at this point and no clear-cut written policy on this. It seems like it's up to the subjective opinion of the FAA surgeon general, even though my doctor knows about my flight training and said he wouldn't have any objection to my pursuit of becoming a professional pilot.

Funny thing is that I never knew about this until they conducted the test, have 150+ hours flying and am looking to take my private check ride within a month. None of my instructors have ever voiced concern over my vision and I have over 70 hours of time with them. It's not like I only see 3/4 of my vision; I just cant see as far up when looking straight ahead. Never had a problem driving or any medical restrictions on my license.

Not sure what to make of this. Your thoughts?

Thanks,

BK