View Single Post
Old 11-23-2019, 10:44 AM
FlytheSky
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2015

Originally Posted by BobbyLeeSwagger View Post
To my homies who came to compass and failed lol, love y'all

https://kapwi.ng/c/fDNycwYs
True story. I was hired in 2015 at LAX, and the day after my Widget interview and I was waiting to find out if I'd either get a job there or be banned for life from there (no pressure at all, right?), I got my surprise captain line check. Ungodly early show time.

LAX sends us to depart the south side because it was so early despite us flying to the north. I think "great, let's single engine taxi the crap out of this" and everything is going great. Call to "MW" (aka start 2) and once we start it get a bleed fail. Great. Coordinate with ground to pull off to the side to run the QRH. Run the QRH and it clears once we turn it off and back on. Run the mechanical irregularity action chart, and looks like we're good to go, just put it in the logbook before we land.

After climbing though 10,000, the LCA looks at me and says "hey, can I see the QRH again?" He looks at it then says "oh, see this line? Yeah, what you did used to be kosher but now we've changed the maintenance procedures so you actually would have needed to taxi back to the gate to get MX to look at it, so this airplane isn't airworthy." I couldn't believe it. Visions of suddenly being a Compass lifer flashed through my mind as I thought I'd have to beg for my job.

Fortunately the LCA then says (after I'd stopped breathing for a bit) "don't worry about it. I missed it, too, so this would be on me as well. Let's just write it up when we get to our destination." The only bigger relief I felt was when Widget called a couple weeks later and said that I was cleared to go there!

Keep up the fight, my Compass brothers and sisters, and I hope all of you end up on your feet somewhere with a twinkle in your eyes and memes on your phones!