Thread: EWR vs IAD
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2019, 06:54 AM
FlewNavy
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by Rascal View Post
After many years of trying I finally got the CJO! I am planing on commuting for the first year to save money while on first year pay but since United will hopefully be my last job, I am planing on moving to within a 1.5 hour drive from either EWR or IAD. I picked these two bases because it appears that they are fairly junior and this allows for quicker upgrade and wide variety of equipment/flying.

If I pick the EWR base, then I am planing on moving to the Eastern Pennsylvania area (I used to live there). I am not familiar with the IAD area and I am looking for some feedback from others that live and drive to work there. Any areas in particular that United pilots live in? Is the career progression (flying, upgrade time, etc.) in IAD similar to EWR?

I appreciate any feedback.
You should be able to get EWR right out of the gates. DCA does not have any unfilled vacancies and as a spring hire you will likely be in your initial base until next winter.

EWR is more junior. IAD is substantially more senior with the exception being the very bottom of the 737/320 lists where any pilot in the first year will be able to hold their base of choice.

If you want faster upgrade/widebody FO/line - EWR.

Eastern PA has the concentration of UAL pilots in the Bucks County area simply for the tax advantages of PA. Maryland/NoVA doesn't have the clear winner for taxes so there aren't any concentrations of pilots that I know of specifically and each area has something to offer depending on what is important to your family/lifestyle.

Bottom line is if you want career progression - EWR is the clear winner as it will always be a more junior base. If you chase upgrades at the fastest rate possible then expect to be on reserve a long time as most of the commuters are bypassing until they can hold a line. Living in base will be the key...congrats and welcome to United.