View Single Post
Old 11-29-2019, 10:02 AM
JamesNoBrakes
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2011
Position: Volleyball Player

Originally Posted by GogglesPisano View Post
I still don’t understand how people in wheelchairs, and especially aisle chairs, are expected to evacuate.
It looks like under 121.586 your airline could develop procedures/policy as to where someone with such a disability will be seated, such as window seats, to minimize their affect on others. The expectation is that they have an attendant to help them move expeditiously in the event of an emergency evacuation, which is in 121.571:

(3) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(4) of this section, before each takeoff a required crewmember assigned to the flight shall conduct an individual briefing of each person who may need the assistance of another person to move expeditiously to an exit in the event of an emergency. In the briefing the required crewmember shall—

(i) Brief the person and his attendant, if any, on the routes to each appropriate exit and on the most appropriate time to begin moving to an exit in the event of an emergency; and

(ii) Inquire of the person and his attendant, if any, as to the most appropriate manner of assisting the person so as to prevent pain and further injury.
Paragraph (a)(4) simply states that someone who has already been briefed doesn't need to be re-briefed.

So according to 571, the airline should probably have procedures that require those with disabilities to have an attendant, then the procedures under 121.586 would exist and without such attendant, the airline could refuse travel to the person because they would be unable to comply with the airline's procedures.

Nothing in 586 seems to "require" the airline to have procedures for having an attendant, so to your original question, it doesn't appear the airline has to do anything. That right there is ripe for a lawsuit if they either don't have procedures or aren't enforcing them, assuming something tragic occurs.

The other "expectation" for those in wheelchairs, casts, etc., is the FA will "throw them out", making sure everyone is out and they(the FAs) are the last ones. That is usually a big part of the evac cert/process. Likely with the FA a 110lb 65 year old? I'll let that one just sit here