View Single Post
Old 12-02-2019, 06:25 PM
C2078
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2019
Default NetJets: By the Numbers

Originally Posted by Fixnem2Flyinem View Post
It’s almost comedic how pilots measure their Peters.

Yes, being at the big 3 is essentially one of the highest paying jobs in the country. That is great. But on the other side of that, I don’t know too many people outside of aviation who can potentially make 100-200k working 7 on 7 off, while having health coverage paid in full and the ability to take 3 weeks at a time off a few times a year while still getting a paycheck.

I didn’t make it passed phase 2 of the NJ interview last year and now at an ACMI carrier. But I would have been happy to have considered NJ as a career, because just 3 years in I’d be single-handedly making double the local household income for working half the year. I may be gunning for another shot in a few years if I can’t get used to this 16-12 ACMI schedule. The majors sounds great as well, except for the commuting and losing days off or living in a big metropolitan area taking my wife away from her support structure while I go fly planes for a living.

Fedex or UPS will give you that and MUCH more! The ONLY ACMI that has decent pay and benefits is Kalitta. Several former NJ guys there, the ones I know love it and happy they made the jump, they don’t miss NJ at all. One former Union guy left for Spirit last year, was close to upgrade, is sooooo happy he left. The high end/luxury flying always made me uncomfortable from a sustainability/long term viability. The ONLY reason the place was not shut down during the Great Recession was due to BH backstop. You can argue that is exactly the reason to have piece of mind, but Uncle W is going to be under the ground soon, too much uncertainty. I only wish the BEST for my friends that are there, I made a personal decision, as many did, I don’t believe 400+ jets for the ultra rich is sustainable. Doesn’t mean it is a bad job!!

And by the way, when you see a NJ guy/gal, ask them how the new medical insurance company/plan is working out for them. When I was there they changed three times, this would of been the fourth had I been there.

As far as commuting, Fedex and UPS are a piece of cake, because you almost always commute into the sort. Pax airlines a bit different. At my current job, comparing years of service to NJ, we have hundreds of 10+ year FO’s making north of $240k working less than 14 days a month, yes, FO’s, cherry picking their schedule, with the same amount of vacation.

Again, for a person that has been at NJ for 10+ years, it is most definitely a good job. But it simply doesn’t compare to the big 6 for a new guy, not even in the same solar system.