View Single Post
Old 12-05-2019, 08:43 AM
Shifty101
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2018

Originally Posted by NattyBumppo View Post
"Needs of the service" is an often-used excuse. Right now the needs of the service is to have as many pilots on the Southwest border - just take a look at the most recent announcement on USAjobs.

Houston and New Orleans are both within the Southeast Region. It's not unheard of for a newhire who's done time in a Southwest branch to get New Orleans but it's been awhile. Houston used to be the most coveted branch to get transferred to because of COLA and no state income taxes, but with the special salary rate for AIA's now the salary table levels the playing field. It's still tough to get into Houston, and I would be surprised if someone with less than 8 years of AMO service got it.

McAllen and Laredo used to be hard-to-fill locations in that as long as someone from a higher priority location (Puerto Rico) didn't put in for the same location you wanted to transfer to, you'd get that location over anyone from a northern or south eastern location. Not the case anymore. The reality is if you're a helicopter or dual-rated pilot you're going to have a difficult time getting off the southwest border.
I was with the agency almost 6 years and was very involved. I started at a new hire location. The reality is, after 3-5 years you’re no longer blind to the problems within the agency, mainly management (almost No leaders). Once you get a top down perspective, you’ll be looking for other careers like many on this forum. Unless you are just one of those employees who works better being told what to do, even when it makes zero sense. That said, you can transfer after 3-5 years but plan on TDYing a lot. My last year I was tdy about 120-130 days. TDYs are not like the airlines, you’re gone longer, and when your home you’re working. I was tdy and worked thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, and 4th of July, not by choice. The tdy mission I was on was one of the most worthless operations Ive been apart of, to include military.

Bottomline, I left for the airlines. I’m taking a 65% paycut (short term) and am completely ok with that, but I planned my escape for 1.5 years. I no longer have a job that’s secure, but neither do my Co workers in the airlines to include management.