View Single Post
Old 12-10-2019, 03:39 AM
AH1Toaster
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2017
Position: EWR 737 FO

Originally Posted by Space Cowboy View Post
I have an in person interview with Dynamic coming up. I’m flying out to Virginia and they told me to expect a sim session that I should be fine with, but nothing about what comes after that. If anybody has any tips I wouldn’t mind a private message.
The "sim" is an old desktop thing but with throttles, yoke, and GA radio stack. If its been a while since you last flew one of those you can go pay for an hour or two of sim time at a local FBO if you can find one. I did, and would have been lost if I hadn't. The profile is something like flying from one SoCal airfield to another. Depart via a SID that can only be flown correctly if you look up the airfield in the stack of FAA pubs they give you. Fly to a fix that has to be ID'd by VOR radials, some holding, then to a feeder fix, then an approach. I don't remember anything like emergencies or ATC problems, just basic IFR flying that anyone with a fresh IFR rating should be able to do.

Here is the email they sent me prior to the interview...

'Dynamic Aviation requires pilots to be fully capable of operating in austere environments (Radar and Non-Radar) with little to no help from ATC. This type of flying is atypical of the flight environment in which many pilots of both civilian and military backgrounds operate. In order to increase the likelihood of successful continued employment at Dynamic Aviation, we have found it beneficial to perform a simple flight evaluation prior to an applicant’s commitment to employment. Therefore, the first part of the Interview process will include a practical assessment in a PC-ATD aircraft simulator. The assessment will consist of a simulated single pilot, IFR flight in a single-engine aircraft. The purpose of the evaluation is for the applicant to demonstrate complete proficiency in IFR procedures (both Radar and Non-Radar). You will be provided with all of the materials required to perform the flight, including government instrument publications (NACO charts). You will not be expected to know power settings, profiles, checklists, or emergency procedures for the assessment. Applicants who do not complete the simulator evaluation successfully will not continue to the next step in the interview process. It is highly recommended that you visit a local FBO or facility that has a similar PC-ATD aircraft simulator for awareness and practice before arriving for your interview and simulator evaluation. Our simulator uses a yoke and the frequencies are changed on a panel that simulates the King Air radios."