View Single Post
Old 01-02-2020, 02:43 PM
TiredSoul
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

We paid cash for our cars.
My wife drives a $2500 car that had 109k on it when we bought it and I drive her old beater with 225k as all I need is a roof over my head around town anyway. I do the brakes myself and $19.98 Walmart oil changes as you can’t do it yourself for that kind of money.
Something that DR does is change your way of thinking and how you spend.
Couldn’t tell you how many times I’ve now passed a Starbucks and go...nah...not going to spend $6 on a coffee.
Tonight I bought a 12- pack for $11.99 on sale instead of the $14.99 next to it.
Still drink beer it’s just a $3 difference.
All this nickel and dime-ing adds up at the end of the month.
Bought ammo at 30% off at a store going out of business.
Bought a metal toolbox at a thriftstore for $8 instead of $18 at Harbor Freight or $27 somewhere else.
Had seafood stew for dinner with....shark...at $5.59/lb
Last but not least, spousal unit approved a new gun purchase from money I saved from my Per Diem allowance. There...company pays for my new gun.
Ramsey approves.
The “emergency fund” is exactly what it says it is. House on fire, water heater exploded, car wrecked, family members terminally ill, or both of us furloughed or laid off as we both work in aviation.
Because of the volatility of our industry we’ve decided to go for 50% of our yearly income in a savings account instead of the 3-6 months of “expenses”.
We’re also doing the steps slightly out of order as we’ve already started paying off extra on our house.
Next pay raise in March ( add year seniority) I’m going to 10% on 401k.
It works for us and that’s really all that matters.

Last edited by TiredSoul; 01-02-2020 at 03:01 PM.