View Single Post
Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 PM
N0000N
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2020

Originally Posted by JamesNoBrakes View Post
It would help if you explained the behavior you thought was prohibited.
Crusty old co-captain I am flying with says there is no requirement to have any conversation with passengers after take off. Flying a family with little kids on a charter to a west coast ski resort for the holidays, we were notified of turbulence along our route. I went to make an announcement to the passengers captain said don't bother it isn't required. I said basically the same thing you did. Captain said show him the reg that its required. Turns out I can't find one. Our GOM doesn't have anything either.

Earlier, kids were running around the cabin earlier once in cruise and the captain told them to sit down and stop running around. Family member gets ****y with the captain and gives a "we pay your salary sort of conversation".

Trip ended with no one getting hurt but it led to an interesting conversation. There doesn't technically seem to be any requirement for passengers to follow directions of crew except for seatbelts and smoking. Otherwise it seems to be the wild west at least in 135 charters. Nor does there seem to be any requirement to notify passengers of upcoming issues along the route of flight or landing other than a AC I found suggesting a pre landing brief but nothing is in a regulation that I can find.

As far as I can tell he is "technically" correct. An ******* but a technically correct *******. The passengers were *******s too. Clearly the captain wanted to put them in their place. The kids were running around a screaming in the cabin hopped up on holiday candy. We could hear the kids over our headsets and the flight deck door closed. Captain finally had enough and went back to have a "talk". Comes back and tells me the story of his "talk" and it got into a discussion about captain's authority. I even broke out the FAR/AIM. End result was except for seatbelts and smoking there wasn't anything we could do. As we approached the mountains we got the call about turbulence at altitude. I went to make the announcement and the captain stopped me. Basically he told me he wanted to give them a lesson. I said something to the effect of we are responsible for anyone getting hurt. He said we did more than we are required to do by asking them to sit down. And turn on the seatbelt sign. But nothing exists in the regulation requiring so. He obviously wanted to make an example after being told to shut up and color by the passenger. Fortunately we didn't get anything more than light chop even on the descent.

I am real uncomfortable with how this played out. Captain has something along the lines of 40,000 hours as a legacy captain. I have just over 2500. Not much I am going to be able to do to persuade him without something specific written in the regs.