Old 01-08-2008, 07:01 AM
JetJock16
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.
Default Psa

Originally Posted by Florida Flyer View Post
Hey there O2...I can't speak for Pinnacle or Mesa since I've never worked there, but I can speak for PSA. When it comes to chosing an airline, there are many pros and cons that you must evaluate, many of which are highly dependent on your individual circumstances. For instance, the PSA contract guarantees a minimum of 10 days off a month, compared to Mesa's 8. If you're already living in a Mesa base, perhaps having 8 days off is better than having 10 days off if you intend to commute to a PSA base (which can drastically cut into your days off). I'll list as many pertinent facts about the PSA contract and training as I can recall, but remember, only you can accurately weigh the pros and cons as they apply to your circumstances. (i.e. the airline that's perfect for person A may be an absolute misery for person B).

1) During training at PSA, you single occupancy hotle room is paid for by the company. (I believe Pinnacle pays for dual occupancy--i.e. you get a roomate).

2) Training pay is 72 hrs per month (the minimum reserve guarantee) PLUS per diem 24/7 while you are in training.

3) PSA has no training contract (i.e. they do not require you to repay your training expenses to the company should you leave before completing 1 year of service.) This is an important note because Mesa does have a training contract--should you get sick of Mesa and leave after 6 months, you'll likely be sent a bill for thousands of dollars to cover your training expenses. Definitely not a good thing.

4) The training dept. at PSA is VERY professional and competent. In my class, we had a 95% pass rate, and for the two classes before me, we had a 95% and 100% pass rate. The instructors are top notch and definitely willing to help you if you're willing to help yourself. Also, only two months elapsed from my first day of ground school to my first day of IOE--a respectably efficient timeframe.

5) PSA is hiring alot right now- now is a great time to come here, as your seniority will grow fast.

6) As of now, all new hires are getting assigned either DAY or TYS out of training. CLT is a senior base and will take at least 6 months to hold. If you intend to commute, CLT is a good base bc of the later show times for trips originating in CLT (i.e. some trips are commutable on at least one end, sometimes both ends, out of CLT.) DAY has a lot of early shows and is less suitable for commuting. However, I strongly suggest living in base, as reserve is so much more pleasant sitting at home as opposed to a hotel or crash pad.

7) Speaking of reserve, expect it for the first 3-5 months, after which you'll likely be able to hold a line. Reserve here isn't so bad if you live in base. At DAY and CLT, you have an hour and a half call out, and in TYS, a one hour call out. Another good reason to live in base is that your reserve window is not assigned until the day before. (i.e. If you're scheduled to be on reserve on the 15th, you have to call scheduling on the 14th to find the reserve window for the next day). This makes it extremely difficult to commute to reserve, as you don't know your window to the day prior. (This is definitely a con!)

8) Should you choose to commute (I'd not reccomend it for the first year), we do have a commuter policy. Basically, you have to list yourself on two flights that would get you to domicile before your show time. Should you be unable to get to base in time, you'll be excused if you followed the above requirement. The downside is that if you don't get to work on time, scheduling will likely assign a reservist your trip and make you take the place of the reservist....i.e. you'll get to sit reserve while someone else flies your trip for 4 days.

9) The contract guarantees us a minimum of 10 days off, and there must be 2 groups of 3 consecutive days off.

10) You can pick up open time on your days off. If you do, you'll get paid 1.5 times your hourly rate for a minimum of 4 hours. (SO...if you pick up a quick out and back that is blocked for 2 hrs, they'll still pay you 4 hours at 1.5 hourly rate...not a bad deal!)

11) Unfortunately, if nobody covers the open time and they run out of reserves, they can Junior man you. This means that if they call you and if you answer the phone, they can contractually compel you to cover the flight, even on your day off. IF you get junior manned, the contract stipulates that you get paid 1.5 your hourly rate for a minimum of 4 hours (same deal as above for picking up open time). But, the good news is that the contract also says that scheduling must "give you back" your off day that they made you work on. They must give it back to you in the month they "stole" it from you or the next mont immediately following. You can be JM'ed no more than 3 times per month or 10 times per year, per our contract. To be honest, JM is relatively rare around here. I'd doubt they'd call you more than once or twice a year, and remember, just don't answer your phone on your days off. That'll avoid you getting JM'd alot of the time.

12) Once you do become a line holder, expect the avg. line to be worth 85 hrs of credit time. (Note: Reserve guarantee is 72 hrs, Line Holder's guarantee is 75 hrs)

Overall, I've been very happy here at PSA. I live in base and am home with my family alot. But only you can weigh the plusses and minuses of a career at XYZ airline, as only you know what suits your life circumstances the best. If there is any other contract info or any other questions you have about training, bases, or life in general at PSA, please feel free to private message me or post your questions here. I was in your same position not so long ago, so I know what it's like to be investigating a variety of airlines. I wish you best in your search for a job, and good luck!

Florida Flyer
Let's keep this tread alive.

If you don't see your airlines on here, PLEASE take the time and post a reply using one of the above formats (keep things constant). Newbie's and those looking to make a lateral move need to know this information in order to make an educated decision that will affect the rest of their lives.

Let's continue to help each other.

Last edited by JetJock16; 01-08-2008 at 06:47 PM.