Thread: Ameriflight
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2020, 08:41 AM
frmrbuffdrvr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2011
Position: Any

Originally Posted by Messageman View Post
So I’m not there anymore, but I’ve been in contact some of my friends that still fly for AMF and just to sum up what’s happening there for anyone who may be thinking about applying.

Apparently after the yearly bonus this year it’s not happening anymore which makes Ameriflight the worst paid large UPS feeder.
I can state that I have not heard anything about renewing the Peak2Peak bonus. (And if you are talking about the old "turbine retention bonus", that was rolled into the base pay a couple of years ago so that any additional flight pay was at a higher than previous rate.) But without the P2P, I don't see where that makes AMF the "worst paid large UPS feeder." Basically because there aren't that many large UPS feeder operations and the ones I can find pay scales for, AMF has them beat even without the P2P bonus.

They’re doing away with the ATP bonus that many of their pilots depend on for the flow programs that they hype up.
Not true. In fact, there 2 pilots scheduled for the ATP/CTP course over the next month.

The ACP FO program is either dead or dying. Not sure exactly what that means but most likely less FOs and no upgrades at 1000 hours. They’ll need EMB-120 FOs but not any of the others.
Also not true. It has currently been cut back as we look at the program at how it is funded. But we are the only operator (that I am aware of) that currently has the exemption for captains to operate IFR under 135. And that has been useful for us as well as being a pathway for low time pilots to come here. We have never "needed" FOs in the other aircraft. We are willing to pay pilots to fly under our exemption program to get their hours with the expectation they will fly productively for us for a period of time.

They’ve cut the home base program nearly entirely, relying on line captains to fill gaps in coverage that would normally be filled with other line pilots. I’m not really understanding this but I heard that a lot of metro and home based captains that are left spent 8-10 weeks on the road with no time at home this peak. And that a lot of the other pilots are spending a week or more gone each month and then still working at the bases when they’re home. They have lost a lot of pilots and haven’t been able to replace them and management doesn’t see the writing on the wall.
It is true that we are no longer hiring pilots into the HBC program. The difficulty with the guys who have to go TDY is several are at or from bases where the runs have gone away. We have nothing directly for them to fly at the base they are (or were, in the case of a closed base) at and so they either would have to bid to another aircraft or base or go TDY. Or leave. Which is not, of course, our preference.