View Single Post
Old 01-15-2020, 05:57 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by elilam12 View Post
Hello, I am 18 and graduating high school this June. I have my PPL and no clue what do do next. The goal is to work for a major airline. I live in Oregon and ideally would stay here for my education. Few questions-

1) what type of college education do I need? Just an associates or bachelors?
Plan on a bachelors. There is at least one major pathway program which would get you to a legacy airline, but if something were to happen to that program the odds of getting to the best jobs in airline aviation are pretty slim.

2) what would be the recommended route (keeping finances in mind) to complete my flight training? Should I stick with a private/independent instructor or look to join a flight school like ATP or even Embry riddle?
There are advantages and drawbacks to each. Need to do a lot of research. Also your financial situation will influence your decision.

I normally like smaller schools, you can save money and still get good training but in this climate there is so much instructor turnover you might have trouble training consistently. Big schools will have turnover as well, but usually they have standardized procedures so you can work with multiple instructions without loosing training value. Either way you'd want to carefully research any school you consider, and that includes talking to current students.

In your situation, if you have the money, I would consider an aviation university with R-ATP authorization.

3) do I look to complete my education at the same time as my flight training, or should I wait for college after completing my training? Does it make a difference?
It doesn't matter. If you defer college, you could knock out the degree while building time at a regional, but you have to be disciplined to get it done, it's very easy for life (GF, wife, kids) to get in the way.

But again, an R-ATP university program would knock out both the degree and flight training, and the R-ATP eligibility would allow you to get a regional job somewhat sooner (1000 hours TT vice 1500). Those programs are not cheap though.