Old 01-30-2020, 07:43 AM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Default Looking for life advice- What would you do?

Hi everyone,

About 20 years ago I was pursuing my instrument rating and failed my checkride multiple times. After the fourth attempt I decided to walk away from training because first of all I was out of money and secondly I felt that it was time to take a break. Looking back, at that time I had too many irons in the fire, I was working two jobs, going to college and also helping out with the family business. I also failed to effectively manage my training by not changing instructors and/or the DPE, probably because of my lack of maturity as a teenager at the time.

For the young people out there, please use my story here as a lesson to first, manage your training in such a way that when you’re told that you’re ready for a checkride, you feel adequately prepared and even though an instructor might be a friend, you need to put your career before that perceived friendship because, you as the student, are the customer and the person that will eventually have to answer for a pink slip in the future at interviews. Period. Also, be sure to save enough money or have some sort of adequate funding and time to focus on said training.

While unfortunate for my flying “career” I think my instrument rating fiasco helped me excel in my alternate career and other areas of my life. That being said, I did continue to fly as a hobby (I own an airplane) and finished my instrument rating last year, which I passed with flying colors, in fact, the DPE said it was one best checkrides she/she has given. I’m pursuing my commercial and the rest of my ratings and I have over 1500 hours now. Regardless of my career prospects as a pilot, I intend to finish up my ratings for my own peace of mind.

From what I’ve read on APC, I don’t think really have much of a chance at the Legacy or even an ULCC. I’ve sent emails out to a few different recruiters to see what they have to say about my situation, I’m currently waiting to hear back from them. I’m trying not to be overly optimistic, however. That being said, assuming I complete the rest of my ratings successfully, would some fractionals or some of the ISR companies be interested in me with my flawed background?

I was in upper management in operations and quality at a defense contractor/repair station/manufacturer before my current job. I now work in the aeromedical field. Generally , my schedule is similar to a ready reserve pilot , I’m on call 24 hours a day for 20 days out of the month, but typically put in about 15-20 hours a week of actual “work”. When I’m on call I work in a small GA shop on the side and help out in a non-aviation family business. Currently, pay wise I do fair for being in the aviation maintenance career (70Kish in aviation, another 30k in the family business Part-time), but I’m really feeling burnt out on turning wrenches, but, unfortunately, very talented at it. I do have a bachelor’s degree. Im in my mid-30s.

For the very long-term I’d like to take over and expend the family business, however I do have to wait until a retirement to do that full time (which I’m also very good at). If I could somehow get a job at a major, I would reconsider. How likely would that be? If the majors aren’t like likely I’m looking at about 5-10 years to fly before I could take over the family business full time ( which would provide more ability to invest in in capital purchases to make the business even stronger when I take over) what direction would you suggest then? Or should I walk away from flying completely as a career?

Sorry for the long post, I’m just trying to get some advice from individuals that are disinterested third parties. I really appreciate the advice and valuable information that everyone generally provides on this forum. Thanks!