View Single Post
Old 02-01-2020, 11:54 AM
Southern Fried
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005

Originally Posted by Bulldog08 View Post
I’m looking for some insight into the 121 world. My goal would be to start at regional where I could pick up IAH as a base to allow a one leg commute. I would hope to eventually end up at United in a few years. My location has 2 flights in and out a day. Arrival at IAH at 9am or 5pm. Depart IAH at 2pm and 5pm. How hard would this be to commute? I’m already struggling with idea of being gone 4 days every week from the family. Adding an extra day on the front and end to commute would probably be unbearable. Any insight from the commuters at regionals and mainline would be appreciated.
As a Houston line holder for years, I can say it's doable with our system. You will probably end up spending a night or two in a hotel every month. Your commuting flight times are not ideal, the 5 pm departure from IAH will make it harder with typical pairing end times. You will have to work the ILIW to massage your schedule to accommodate your same day commute. Might have to give up other desires like weekends off and avoiding any particular overnights. You'll have to be more flexible in your choices of pairings to trade for to get a same day commute. Hard, but doable. Also, you may consider dropping an especially difficult pairing as part of another trade and sucking up the loss in pay initially. Some folks can't afford that of course. If you do drop a 4 day (for example), you can keep an eye on open time and pick up something commutable later in the month during the secondary window. If you miss a commute, a 4 hour drive might be worth it, depending on your personal situation. There are many variables to consider, only you can decide if it's worth it in the final analysis.