Old 02-02-2020, 08:04 PM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Middle/lower-tier majors are currently hiring qualified pilots who have one-too-many blackmarks for the top tier. Frankly, they like that, it means you won't leave for DL in 18 months. I would think four busts spread out throughout your career would be a bit much for middle-tier, but I think in your case it would be OK since it was really a very isolated circumstance and you were young. Personally I would consider that to be more like one bust where the system got stuck like a broken record and kept doing the same thing over and over again, taking a teenager along for the ride. I think if you had a few thousand turbine and 1000 TPIC you could get a middle-tier job right now. Even more likely in the years ahead, as you say.

If you had some turbine time ACMI would hire you right now. And then there's Southern... they'd probably hire you tomorrow with your current time.

All that said... you should do a careful self-evaluation of your instrument and multi-tasking skills. If you are in fact relatively weak in that regard 121 training could be a struggle.
Absolutely and agree wholeheartedly on doing the self-eval. I try to fly as much actual IFR as I can when time allows to build that skill set. I’ve been planning to get my ATP-CTP class complete and ATP written passed before even thinking about a 121 job. I’ve also contemplated getting a “cheap” type (i.e. a 500 series Citation) knock out the ATP ride. Would that be prudent before leaving my “day job” to ensure to myself (and possible employers) I can pass a ride in something more substantial than something piston?