Old 02-03-2020, 08:28 PM
4020Driver
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
OP,
Im guessing you are in your late 30’s?
You obviously have the discipline to dedicate yourself to a task as illustrated by your stellar checkride.
Here is a question though, how long did it take you? Any decent instructor would have started at Lesson 1.
I am not a stellar learner by any stretch so take this from somebody who knows: learning in aviation is not only about retention it is also about limited time.
Any professional training will be in a limited amount of time with a limited number of training sessions and maybe one or two allotted extra sessions.
It is not only about being able to do it it is equally about being able to learn it in the time given.
There are plenty of people out there that wash out or voluntarily resign from a Regional or a 135 because they can’t hack the pace of training. Has nothing to do with skill or the ability to learn per se.
Its about ability to learn in a limited time frame.
Hope that made sense somehow.
Yes, I’m in my late 30’s and it took me about 10 months from start to finish calendar-wise, part-time. My instructor did do an evaluation on me before my training and didn’t want me to start from scratch. I decided it was best if I was treated as a zero-time instrument student. I didn’t want any chances of missing anything.

I had about 50 hours of instrument time including some in a sim from my first attempts, my instructor wanted to sign me off after about 30 hours of instrument training after my “training reset”. That being said, I wanted to get more actual time and I did quite a bit of hood work with friends, I took my final successful checkride a 50 hours of instrument time after I started over.

That does make sense, and I appreciate the candid response. I’ve thought about the training in the allotted time issue, that is one of the things that does concern me. But, on the other hand I’m in aviation Mx that I don’t enjoy anyway, why not at least try and get out of it, and if 121/135/type training doesn’t work out, then it might be time for me to get out of aviation as a career altogether.

I know you’re no me, but if you were in my aviation shoes, what would you do?