View Single Post
Old 02-09-2020, 11:00 AM
lowandslow33
New Hire

Joined APC: Dec 2019

Originally Posted by Rabid Jackalope View Post
Blah. I don’t think anyone is saying that the only flying job worth having is an airline gig. There are plenty of other good/decent paying jobs that give satisfaction and other Quality of Life perks that the airlines can’t always give, and I don’t begrudge anyone doing them.

But I will warn everyone I talk to AWAY from an AMO AIA job. I used to print out the USAJobs announcement for an AIA and tell the other guys, man, I wished I had THAT job.

I won’t rehash what has probably been said on the drawbacks of the AIA position and the extreme dysfunction of AMO. Plenty of venom has been spewed, and rightfully so I’m sure in many cases.

But I intended to make AMO a career, and was one of the last in my year group to bail as I didn’t think I wanted that airline and being an AIA should be the best job ever. But it isn’t. Not even Close. The drawbacks drown out any minuscule benefits that might be received.

There are better jobs, civilian, government and military than AMO. Go there first, and keep trying. If anyone goes to AMO, keep looking. You won’t be there 1-2 years before the cheap veneer wears off....
Rapid Jackalope - Could you enlighten me about these better jobs? Civilian and government?
1200 hr / 400 ME CFI here looking for a new gig. seeking a fun challenging job, looking for something with bush wheels or twin turboprop, BEFORE i spend the rest of my life in an airline. would really appreciate your input.

thanks all for the input about CBP AIA. I was really excited about the job until I read this thread. The politics and BS of a gov run organization would really make the job miserable for me.