View Single Post
Old 02-19-2020, 03:04 AM
The Dominican
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: 747 captain

Originally Posted by Bufalo01 View Post
One year in a regional it’s no that long ur probably correct, but after 26 years flying in 4 continents, to have 14 days off a month is more important for me than to be holding reserve here, but again each pilot case is very unique and personal and family circumstances as well. The grass is not greener here!!
We are not saying the job doesn't have its merits for some folks, I've said it before many times that for folks from the EU and Oceania, South Africa, it's a fair option and that for them it is worth it to deal with the cultural BS and ridiculous so called "training" But for a young pilot in the US? I just cannot stress enough that coming here would be a mistake!
Right now the US market (as difficult as it may be to get the brass ring) would give a young pilot the best economical and professional rewards, even at LCC and ACMI's the job satisfaction and salary would be much higher! Take JetBlue as an example, with the attrition of guys leaving to the majors and retirement, plus their A/C orders, you can potentially upgrade within 2 to 3 years at jetblue if you come in right now.
With the way their contract is set up, you can work as much as you like and bank some extra coin, I know 6 year seniority captains at JetBlue that still have the same 12 days off that you and I have (Not 14, you spend 2 full days commuting and then you are a basket case for 3 to 4 days after you get home) that are making 30 grand a month picking up open time out of their base since both the DH and the trip are paid at 200% over minimum guaranteed, and that is the BIG difference with this contract that you have ways to influence your monthly work and pay, you can work as little as you like and still make guaranteed, or adjust your days off and make bank, you can choose what trips you like, if you are a morning person you can bid a day trip line and do that, you like a particular destination, you can choose that!
Your medical checks are going to be a none event, and so will your PC's and PT's

I would not recommend ANY US pilot to come here now, it's just not worth it! Even at ACMI's like Kalitta you will have a much better QOL and income over the same 5 year time period as your first contract here.

Here at the end you are just going to be tired, that's all just tired!