View Single Post
Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 AM
Greybush
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Originally Posted by CJPilot1 View Post
Among other things, it comes down to money and work rules. I’m also short a college degree at the moment. I’ll have it done within the next year, but I’d like a flow to have in my back pocket just in case. I’m mainly set on PSA for those reasons. Jumpseat priority is another biggie, for PSA anyways. Not to mention the fact that if I really get tired of commuting there’s nothing *major * stopping me from moving back home to Charlotte. I’d just really prefer not to at the moment.
Keep in mind, you'll likely take 5-6 months from hire to be awarded CLT. So you'll have to possibly commute 2-3 legs in the beginning. You'll get SCR until you are senior enough to hold LCR simply due to the fact that almost everyone senior to you on reserve is sick of being on SCR.

I've been at PSA for 10 months. It took me 7 months to hold CLT, and I'm still on SCR. I start LCR next month, and I'm still 3-5 months away from holding a round 1 line.

As far as the work rules you're looking forward to, PSA operates heavily on reserve...like, 40% of its pilots are on reserve. Being on reserve here vs holding a line is almost like working for 2 different airlines. Reserve rules could be improved imho. For example, we only get 50% DH pay, and it's normal to get 2-3 DHs to work a single leg out of base while on reserve. You won't break 75 hr guarantee unless you pick up flying on your days off. The reserve grid is often in the red (YMMV), preventing you from swapping your reserve days. And lately scheduling has regularly taken 20-60+ minutes to answer your call, which you are required to do after every reserve assignment or every day you're not used or every time they adjust your flying, which is daily for me.

This isn't me just complaining to you. I just want you to get a realistic everyday view of what year one of being on reserve is like from someone at CLT.