View Single Post
Old 03-04-2020, 10:51 AM
RJ4LIFE
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by gloopy View Post
FWIW, and albeit this is somewhat anecdotal, but on 2 occasions DL honored their obligations during challenging times.

In 2000/2001 there was an economic recession that really hit the airlines hard, a few quarters even prior to 9-11. DL made the decision to stop new hire classes. At the time that decision was made there was one class scheduled that was well inside the 2 week notie period and DL, to its credit, honored that class saying it was the right thing to do at the time. Obviously aafter 9-11 they furloughed that class and many, many other classes. But their actions and intentions were to carry that class as long as they could.

Again in 2008 hiring abruptly stopped due to the merger. They probably could have cancelled the last class in April of that year but they kept it. Then again in 2010 they hired about 300 pilots due to contractual staffing formulas only to find thmselves overstaffed with no need to hire for a while. That example wasn't quite as altruistic as the other ones because that would have involved furloughing and one could argue that the short term savings didn't outweigh the medium term savings of such a move, but its still a valid data point.

What UAL did recently was embarassing and dishonorable. Hopefully all effected can either get other jobs or go back to their previous ones. Its not a "cost saving" issue to any significant extent (23 pilots for a couple months?) and if things get really bad they'll quickly furlough thousands (as will everyone else) anyway. (FWIW I don't think that will happen based on the present position of the industry/economy even now, but things could theoretically get much worse).

By definition since you're in the pool it sounds like you haven't given up a good job or whatever you're doing ATM so it didn't effect you. You're correct to notice it and to be upset by it. But they won't give you a class until this has passed and those 23 have one anyway. That said, yeah its a trashy bush league thing to do for a global airline that won't even notice the cost savings as a rounding error. Shame on them for doing that.

But once they get to you, I'd still go to class. That said, take the DL interview, do your best and if offered a class there that would be my preference but I'm a little biased.
Agree that it was a very shortsighted, and quite frankly pathetic move on United's part. All they managed to do was replace the excitement and optimism of these new hires with disappointment and anger, not to mention the stress on them and their families. I am far from a delta fanboy but I honestly cannot see them doing this if they were in the same position, if for no other reason than that they wouldn't want to create 23 bitter pilots with chips on their shoulders for the rest of their careers. Wouldn't want to risk bringing down the NPS.