View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 03:05 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by edik
Hey Guys,

I just have a questions regarding flight time. If I was to go fly (non major airline, but it is an airline B99, B100, EMB110, Twin Otter) somewhere outside US, can I log the time towards coming back to US and applying for a job. I am only going out of US for less then a year, so I will still be citizen.

Thanks

Edik
Generally, any time is good time, but if you are going to work in a third-world country you need to keep a few things in mind...

1) The biggest issue with a potential US employer is going to be verifying that you actually flew what you claim. Normally, they send the PRIA form to your previous employer and between that and the background check, it's good. If you work for a foreign fly-by-night operator that doesn't speak english, you might be in for problems later. If you work for a larger, established, well-known operation, that should be OK. Keep as much documentation as you can in addition to your own logbook, ie dispatch releases, daily flight/crew schedules, etc.

2) Airlines really hate it when they discover that one of their pilots used to fly for the drug dealers. If they have any doubts about the nature or legality of the cargo, you will NOT be hired. If your foreign employer has any history along those lines, you will be tarred by the same brush. This is the reason that airlines get VERY touchy about pilots who have blank time in their employment history.

3) Safety. How safe is the operation and what is your risk tolerance?

Good Luck