View Single Post
Old 03-16-2020, 12:37 PM
hockeypilot44
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Originally Posted by AirBear View Post
This morning my wife took a friend to the Doctor here in CLT. She was out on the road at 8am and dreading the rush hour traffic. There was no rush hour traffic. She made record time. Doc's office was a ghost town, the visit was scheduled for a friend's infant quite a while back. Our local Shomar's restaurant is offering free delivery for anyone within 3 miles.

Also this morning the Governor of NY had a press conference. Working in conjunction with the Governors of NJ and CT they're going to shut down all bars, restaurants, gyms, theaters, etc. Restaurants can still provide take out and delivery. In the press conference Governor Cuomo pointed out that 17% of those testing positive for COVID-19 require hospitalization. He said when you look at the estimated number of cases and apply that 17% and look at available hospital beds.....it'll keep you up at night. He's frustrated the Feds won't bring the Army Corps of Engineers into play building temporary medical facilities. The 3 Governors are working together to look for places that can be quickly converted into medical facilities using National Guard, Building Unions, and Developers. They're also going to allow hospitals to cram more beds into the same space, probably means no more private rooms. Beats being out in the hallway at least.

All 3 major airlines have now announced major schedule reductions. Since no one knows how long this will go on for they're really in a quandary as to furloughs. I'm hoping Federal Bailouts and cheap oil will allow them to carry pilots on reduced schedules. And I really hope airlines don't try to use "Force Majure" to furlough by equipment vs. seniority. I vaguely remember an airline (Midway?) that filed bankruptcy and tried to abrogate the contract by furloughing by equipment, they operated 2 types of jets. I don't remember if they got away with it or not.
I live in Florida. Traffic hasn't lightened up at all. Where's everyone going? Airport was absolutely packed today. Then I got to Atlanta. Atlanta airport is noticeably thin on traffic.