Thread: CFI Pay
View Single Post
Old 04-24-2006, 04:44 PM
ToiletDuck
Che Guevara

Joined APC: Aug 2005

Originally Posted by ctd57
Believe me, I am not in it for the money, and being a prior Naval Flight Officer, I would assume, just like they did in Pensacola, that you are doing single engine VFR stuff and getting these guys their private licenses before they ever step foot in an Air Force aircraft. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but if you are looking to persue a professional career in aviation, it is not about how much money you are making, or who you are training. At a place like ATP, 90% of the instructors do nothing but fly multi-engine aircraft and that is what looks good on resumes. The more multi time, the better. So that is why I pursued a place like this to build up time. I could have easily instructed at a place like that, but if that is all you want to do, then more power to you and I have no problem with that.

Well I'm a CFII and I make a decent living flying. To me that is a professional career. But I plan on moving on in 8 months or so. I agree it's all on what you want. There were several things I looked at. Like i said take your time. One thing about an FBO that you don't find at the schools is connections. While hours are good, connections are great. My boss who owns the FBO has a Merlin IIIB that outruns a KingAir350. I meet many people, everything from cloud seeding to border patrol, that has good jobs. To me it is about the money. Among other things like the love of flying. You can be as professional as you want, but what's the point if you can't make a living doing it. I find FBO's get you out of the main stream. If want to get an Airline job you will be better off at ATP or some place like that. If you are like me and want to find something else out there like cargo ect then FBO's are the way to go. I don't care how much multi a guy has, if you meet the requirements and personally own the owner you're in like gin