View Single Post
Old 03-19-2020, 08:49 AM
DontLookDown
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by Skychicken17 View Post
I’m wondering the same thing. I’m a cfi at my flight school with 850 hours. 150 hours away from the airlines... I’m wondering if I should stick around there for a while and keep instructing? Or start looking for a new career choice...
Thats not your choice to make. It’s really up to the economy and the airlines.

If the airlines are hiring in a few months when you’re ready then go for it. If not, then you’re stuck.

You’re a CFI. If you’re at a typical school you have a fluctuating paycheck and an overall salary less than $40,000 a year, no health benefits, no 401K and no paid time off. You also probably work your tail off for the money that you do make by working long days and eating quick 10 minute meals during preflight inspections. You might be the exception to this, but that applies to most.

Some people might want to think twice before sacrificing their current lifestyle to pursue the unstable career of an airline pilot. CFI’s don’t have much to lose as far as lifestyle goes so in my opinion if CFI is all you have going for you then it’s still a pretty easy choice