View Single Post
Old 08-16-2005, 08:01 PM
Sky_Bound

Originally Posted by otter
Pushing forty is a hard time to start flight school. What happiens if another 9/11 or something else blows up? After 9/11, airlines all but stoped hirring. If you look at aviationinterviews.com and go back to 2001 and 2002 you will see pilot's flight time in the 3000 hour range. That's to fly a 1900 or a Dash 8 If something like that happiens agian, you'll be a CFII for 2000 hours. However, I to understand the dream to fly. When I was a CFII and a older student came to me, we had this talk to make sure he or she understood. Good luck....

I understand why you would say that but so many industries and people were hurt by 9/11 not just the airlines and pilots.

I live in Las Vegas and I saw people losing their jobs and homes from the gaming industry "cracking".

Right about now the only other alternative is to purchase about a 250k Sport Fisherman and set up charter in the Turks and Caicos :P

But then again I'm looking at about the same low income and possible investment failure as "Pilot education" :P

The only difference is the bank likes the idea of Airline Pilot more than Boat Captain ! lol

Again I'm not worried up making my upgrades as fast as possible although I would like to get to decent pay in about 5 years

Today at my FAA med exam I had a chance to talk to some pilots as well as the Doc who's been private for years.

One pilot suggested getting turbo prop out of school and enjoy the "flying".
He said if you go right to "auto-pilot jets" you'll miss so much of the "beauty" of flying. He said he now cherishes those days of "flying".

Like now and through out my life I plan on keeping up with my "road scholar" education and if I get some advice I feel right for me I just might take that avenue, like jump to turbo props and not worry about how fast I get the Capt seat and my line till 60 ! *)

I've gained some pretty good advice from my peers and elders over the years and I have always counted that more important than "proper schooling".

Last edited by Sky_Bound; 08-17-2005 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling ;)