Old 01-16-2008, 10:42 AM
iahflyr
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Here is my opinion.

If I were at Skywest for the ALPA vote, I would have voted yes. However, I am not angry that they voted it down. If Skywest turned into a Mesa, Skybus, Jetblue, or other bottom feeder, then I would insist that they have a union. However they are currently one of the top 5 regionals out there. I am more concerned about the attitudes of some of the Skywest pilots. I am not concerned when they talk about how good Skywest is (because it is a quality operation). I am mostly concerned about the people who look at ALPA and say, "oh ya, well look at Mesa." That is total crap. Mesa was in a tough situation with its last contract, and honestly it turned out much better BECAUSE they had ALPA. If they were non-union, JO would have eaten them alive. Don't bash Skywest pilots because they are non-union, just be sure to educate them that a union has many advantages.

Another thing I am concerned about with Skywest is their lack of bargaining power (ie, ability to say no to a pay proposal). I think this pay proposal is fairly bad. To be fair, Skywest was kind of doomed when ASA pilots voted their marginal contract in with a 84% yes vote. If you look at the Skywest pay proposal versus the current ASA rates, they are almost identical.
Exceptions are $22 first year versus $23 at ASA. Otherwise Skywest got the exact same 50 seat rates as ASA (captain and FO) up through year 18. Then Skywest has a few extra dollars for max captain. Skywest also got nearly identical rates for the CRJ-700/900. The exceptions are 2nd year FO is $1 higher at ASA, and years 10-18 captain is $1 higher at ASA. These are ASA rates for the CRJ-700 while these cover the CRJ-700/900 for Skywest. I don't know what ASA's COLA is, but Skywest got a terrible 1% COLA.

Here is my opinion. Send it back for management.
Ask for the same rates as ASA. That means $23 (or more) first year. Also about $1 an hour raise for years 10-18 CRJ-700/900 captains. And $1 for year 2 CRJ-700/900 FO's.
Then ask for a COLA to match inflation of 3%.

To bargain with them, tell them you will give back the pay raises for the 19 and 20 year max captains. Remember, EVERYONE goes through years 1-5 pay, but almost no one goes through years 19 and 20.

Your rates will be the same as ASA. I would call that a marginal contract. See what management says. If they negotiate with you and accept your offer, that is good news. Maybe you don't need ALPA (for now). If they decline your offer, it shows a HUGE reason to vote in ALPA at the next possible instant.

Skywest just aquired all the Skyway flying. That is probably another 10 CRJ's. They need to hire pilots, and this may be a good motivation to raise first year pay. Skywest management does not want to deal with ALPA. I think you have more bargaining power than you guys realize (the threat of ALPA).

Vote NO. See what management says. If they listen to you, that is good. If they don't, then vote in ALPA. It sounds really simple.

Good luck. Now what does everyone else think??