View Single Post
Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM
DustoffVT
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Originally Posted by headgs View Post
Hey guys, been lurking but first real post. I got the AIA tentative acceptance (contingent on background stuff, etc) email yesterday. I've got 2500TT with a King Air 350 single pilot PIC type, about 300hrs PIC, 650hrs total in it.

Also about 300PIC in the PC12, and 200 SIC in the G-IV. I just got laid off from my pt 135 G-IV job. I'm 25 years old, year degree, ready to move basically anywhere.

Would AMO place me in the King Air or Pilatus due to my experience on type or would that be irrelevant? Goal is definitely majors eventually, but with regionals stopping hiring this seems like a super interesting opportunity.

Thanks in advance, much appreciated.
Listen, honestly, if your goal is the majors this isn't the place. People that left for the majors from here brought the quals with them to AMO. Generally past experience means little once you're on board. It's not a time building job in any way - and you may not even be flying fixed wing. If you go to a primarily helo branch you'll be sent for a rotor rating. None of that time will count towards most major jobs. There are F-18 test pilots and C-17 wing standards guys that are primarily Astar dudes here.

However, you may find that goal changes. To some degree AMO is choose your own adventure, especially off the SW border. There are cool niche jobs. P-3s are going to be a thing for non-prior P3 pilots. It can also be a gateway to other fed flying jobs - there are many, you could find a few on USAjobs now.