View Single Post
Old 03-27-2020, 04:02 AM
ObadiahDogberry
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
An FAA ATP only allows you to skip one or two of the 14 exams. Unless it’s changed, you’d need about 6 months minimum to study for the remaining exams (even that would be optimistic) and then do an I/R check ride in a twin, in EU airspace. EU airspace and their procedures are very different to the US.

It’s not something anyone should start unless you’re sure you have a good shot at a job. It’s hugely expensive and extremely time consuming. Moving forward, it used to be that you had to have an EASA Airbus or Boeing type rating to stand a chance, without having to pay around €30k for your training at most of the Euro airlines. You used to be able to combine your Multi I/R ride with a type ride, in a sim. But that would be on your own dime and again, not cheap.

With the British Govt. refusing to bail out the airlines, they’re going to be laying off pilots, so there’ll be a few guys knocking on doors, you’d have to complete with. Flybe is already defunct.
As of four years ago, when I did the conversion, an FAA ATP did not grant you the ability to skip any of the EASA ATPL exams. The only thing it did was if you had at least 3,500 hours, a type rating and 500 hours in that airplane, you could self certify for the exams, no need for an ATO to sign you off.

A few years ago, the UK CAA would grant you a UK ATPL, restricted to G registered aircraft only, based on two of the exams (if memory is correct) but EASA made them do away with that. With Brexit, that option may return, but it is doubtful that will be high on their priority list. The CAA has stated it is their intention to issue a validation of EASA ATPLs as many pilots are operating in the UK on other EASA licenses, particularly Irish.

When and if BA begins to hire again, it is almost assuredly going to require at least a permanent residence permit (i.e. settled status, or indefinite leave to remain) if not at UK or Irish passport (the Good Friday Agreement gives UK and Irish citizens the unlimited right to live and work in each other's countries with immediate settled status). A few UK based airlines have told their non-UK/Irish/settled pilots that they will have to leave by December 31, 2020.