View Single Post
Old 03-28-2020, 07:04 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Originally Posted by LJ4Life View Post
I'm in a bit of a weird spot. I've been flying for one of the legacy carriers for the past 4 years. I'm sure some think I'm overreacting, but I believe that if this situation doesn't get resolved quickly then I'll be looking for another job come 1 Oct. My thinking was that if I did get furloughed then I could try to find a spot that I could just do my 4.5 years to have a guaranteed pension and then go back to the airlines if I'm still interested in that life. AGR spots are definitely hard to come by, and I just don't see that in the cards. I've got young kids, so being at home for the next 5 years would be a big win. I just assumed that volunteering for UAS would get me the time at home, and hopefully a decent location.
Nah, that's not really a weird spot. You got out and with 14 AD went and tried your lot at the airlines + TR guard job. Dime a dozen story.

There's nothing wrong with your plan. My only question is have you lived in the SW border? I did 7.5 years there, and that was a very trying time for my family. What is a "decent" location mean to you? Only you can answer that for your family and their circumstances.

Honestly, an ART job would be right up your alley, if such a thing was available to you either by transferring to AFRC, or whatever the Guard calls their GS/TR dual status full time people. The other benefit to ARTs is they tend not to deploy with their units as much, as they're considered the admin backbone of the squadron. Not to say local leadership doesn't goad their full timers to buy into the AD-Lite nonsense, but in general it's much more difficult to make an ART go. And they're certainly not gonna deploy you in civilian status (too much $$$). Something to consider.

The only problem is you can't MLOA to an ART job. Has to be title 10 or 32. A personal leave of absence would do it though, and I bet ya come October 2020 nobody's gonna give you grief over it if it came to it. AGR would be ideal. You could take that to AD retirement, even if it exceeded USERRA. Again, PLOA for the balance reamining to AD retirement would probably not be an issue, otherwise you can get to full AD retirement piecemeal (troughing/bumming, does not go against USERRA when done in sub-30 day chunks) for the difference. You can also get on USERRA exempt tour (staff, school, contingency deployment, whatever) and get your check o the month and ride into the sunset. At that point you can re-assess your life stage and go back to the airline, or not if it's not to your liking based on what you see 6 years from now. You have options, CBP is not the only one.

I think it has been established by the UAS folks on here that the UAS gig, shift work as it may be, can get ya the pedestrian schedule you seek. if you can stomach the monotony and the overnight schedules if any. The location issue is the only wildcard of consequence, and again you will have to assess whether that's up your wheelhouse. Good luck!