View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 11:41 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by trvsmrtn View Post
Before I retired, I would’ve been that confident too. Now, every time I see members of the joint chiefs on TV with Trump, they look ashamed to be working under a man with no regard for everything they swore to uphold and defend. I really hope that if he told them to send in the military to lock down a city, they would tell him to go **** himself, but as evidenced by his previous behavior, he will just fire each of them until he finds someone who will do what he wants.
Current and/or former Joint Chiefs holding a press conference to describe a constitutional crisis vis-a-vis illegal executive orders would be any president's worst nightmare... because that's the first step down the road to upholding one's oath about the constitution and all enemies foriegn and domestic. Nobody is going to be stupid enough to press-to-test on that one.

Besides the executive branch does not even want the current economy-damaging restrictions, much less more of the same.

Also a little DC inside baseball... POTUS has secured more support from his party than he would have had otherwise by consistently leaving the DoD (and other security agencies) in the hands of competent professionals. Even if he fires them, the replacements are still competent (and in this context that means ethically competent as well). Lots of people sleep better at night with that business model.