View Single Post
Old 03-31-2020, 05:31 PM
hindsight2020
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Center seat, doing loops to music

Cultural predilections/bias against life in PR are noted. Or as we call it, just another Tuesday in the Anglo-centric echo chamber that is APC. To each their own. Moving on...

As a PR native, I'll say for the benefit of those who asked, the more significant aspect of the comparison deals with the tax implications. A federal worker who is a bona fide resident of PR owes income taxes to Dept de Hacienda (aka state level IRS) in lieu of the federal government. Income taxes in PR are the highest of the entire nation (33% above 60K). The IRS treats PR as a foreign entity for tax credits (it's a tax haven for CONUS tax cheats, with the latest art 20 and 22 being perfect examples of the gentrifying grift). That's the quiet part of why PR is maintained as a colony and not pushed towards political enfranchisement/equality, but I digress.

As such, you will get a foreign income tax credit on your federal taxes, effectively zeroing out your federal tax liability by virtue of paying all your taxes to PR. Suffice to say you'll pay more in income taxes down there than most (federal) + (states that have income tax) combined. The property taxes are VERY low by comparison, but don't come anywhere near to making up for those gargantuan income tax rates. GS scales in PR are paid as "rest of the US" rate, so no relief there either. Something to consider.

Aguadilla is my father's hometown and my summer hometown growing up. With the arrival of Lufthansa Mx depot and all the tenant units of the DOD and DHS located in the old Ramey AFB infrastructure, housing has clipped up a little, but it's still much lower paced than San Juan MSA, where I grew up proper. Airline service from BQN to FL and New England destinations is fairly convenient all things considered. Plenty of "gringos" in the area and all the way down to Mayagüéz (Rincón being a popular spot for surfing aficionados, albeit a bit gentrified by monied Anglos and snowbirds in the last decade or so). All that to say, in PR municipalities where federal W-2 critters congregate, English is more than sufficient to live and thrive.

If it wasn't for the tax implications and the lack of statehood, I would have come back home a long time ago. Maybe after mil retirement if I dabble with the airlines, commuting on a snowbird basis would be a good compromise. Truly amazing geography and weather. I miss it every day. Good luck with the job hunt.