View Single Post
Old 04-02-2020, 05:04 PM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by senecacaptain View Post
If he leaked an internal official memo to the media, and caused possible embarrassment to the Navy, he may be in hot water.
No, actually nobody on the inside thinks he leaked it, including me (the current crop of carrier CO's are my year group peers, I know several of them).

The CoC was not happy with the fact that the letter was not handled with very strict controls. Should have been classified and handled accordingly, I personally would have definitely classified documents reflecting a major readiness issue for a major military capability.

1. The letter was very politically sensitive, and the CoC was entitled to an opportunity to field it within proper channels.
2. The ship is a major weapon system, a key instrument of national power.
3. It is forward deployed (in a "warm" zone).
4. It is powered by nuclear reactors (which cannot be instantly shut down and rendered inert).
5. It carries significant munitions.

I don't believe for an instant he leaked it intentionally. I do agree with his relief, assuming the letter was transmitted through unsecure channels (I have reason to believe it was, but have no way of knowing for certain).

He might have gotten away with a minor security transgression (so easy to do these days) if it hadn't landed on the front page of major media outlets.