View Single Post
Old 05-12-2020, 02:19 PM
lightspeed12
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2019
Unhappy Considering leaving LIFT Academy

I've been there for 5 months but only have 35 hours. Still have a few flights left to get my PPL.

1) Their program is supposed to last 3 years (1 year for the ratings and 2 years instructing) before getting a "guaranteed" job at Republic. All that was before COVID. I think it's reasonable to assume it will now take 5 years because:
- Less students will be entering the program (they even stopped all new classes until Fall 2020)
- the CFI's are not progressing to Republic

2) Who knows if Republic will still be around when I have my hours? The possibility always existed but it is a lot more probable now for obvious reasons.

3) I imagine that whenever Republic starts hiring again, they will have their minimums much higher. So the CFI's at LIFT could be stuck building hours at LIFT for 4-6 years.

4) I say "stuck" because you can't leave before the 5 year mark at republic, otherwise you have to pay a $20K penalty.

Having said all this, the one new benefit I see with LIFT now, is that perhaps Republic will prefer to hire the 1500hr LIFT CFI instead of a 3000HR off street hire.

I'm seriously considering leaving LIFT and doing the training at a local part 61 school. Maybe LIFT can re-hire me as a CFI once things get better.

Thoughts?