View Single Post
Old 05-16-2020, 06:53 AM
Longbow66
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2020

Originally Posted by iropman View Post
I have been reading up on the forum here trying to learn as much as I can. I have started the process to complete my background investigations etc.
From what I am reading it looks like it can take anywhere from 3-5 years to get assigned a different location from the initial assignment.
I currently live 10-15 min away from the Conroe TX (CXO) location.
My questions are would it be possible “commute” and travel home to Conroe on my days off if assigned Laredo or similar? This is essentially what I’m doing for my current job (regional airline) where I get 11 days off a month and only get 2-3 days at a time at home anyhow.
Next question... is Conroe considered to be a more senior location or more desirable? How long would it take for me to be able to be assigned to Conroe?
Feel free to PM me.
I wouldn’t worry too much about the 3-5 year requirement. The relocation solicitations that have come out recently are not only just open to GS 11-12-13’s but also open to people attending the academy at FLETC.

I’m certain there isn’t any type of commuting that the agency will provide to you, you’ll have to travel home on your own but that should most definitely be allowed, if that answers your question.

Transferring up to Houston will take some patience and waiting for a spot to open up but not impossible. I believe all relocation funds are suspended until FY 21 as it stands right now.

Having your first duty location at one of the hard to fill locations on southern border will increase your chances of transferring as well. Even if someone with more seniority at a different location wants the same spot, you’ll be
giving first pick.