View Single Post
Old 05-20-2020, 05:40 PM
DustoffVT
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

Originally Posted by MrButter View Post
Off the wall question, how does CBP: AMO view seniority? I've heard plenty of stories about highly qualified aviators applying vs. low time guys, does it matter who comes aboard first? Say 3 or so years down the road and an opportunity arises and Person A has 3 years of service, low hours and Person B has 1 year of service but high hours and assuming all other aspects are somewhat similar, who gets the slot? How do Directors go about it?

Kind of a food for thought thing because if it is based on experience and not seniority, if you're a low time dude, I feel like there won't ever be the availability to transfer out of UAS.

Diver can chime in here also, but the answer is really all of the above. Time, skill set, reputation, politics all play a role. I don’t want to say good ole boy network because the current leadership, in my view, has done a good job of leveling the field to the extent possible. But relationships certainly matter. AMO is an extremely small, tight knit community. Everyone knows or knows of everyone else after just a few years in. It’s not the 121 seniority system, or the military. AMO is definitely unique.