View Single Post
Old 05-21-2020, 06:36 PM
NattyBumppo
On Reserve

Joined APC: Nov 2019

Originally Posted by MrButter View Post
Off the wall question, how does CBP: AMO view seniority? I've heard plenty of stories about highly qualified aviators applying vs. low time guys, does it matter who comes aboard first? Say 3 or so years down the road and an opportunity arises and Person A has 3 years of service, low hours and Person B has 1 year of service but high hours and assuming all other aspects are somewhat similar, who gets the slot? How do Directors go about it?

Kind of a food for thought thing because if it is based on experience and not seniority, if you're a low time dude, I feel like there won't ever be the availability to transfer out of UAS.
AMO doesn't really consider seniority. There are no seniority numbers like in the airlines, so generally speaking your AMO reputation will be more important than who came onboard first. This is a small organization within CBP and DHS so read into what you will.

No one expects you to stay at your initial "new hire" location. So I'll add one more word of advice. Once you're a mission-qualified pilot at your first duty location and you decide you want to put in for a transfer, do yourself a favor and visit the branch/unit you would like to transfer to. 1) a face to the resume and application goes a long ways, 2) learn about their mission (each location is different), and finally 3) make sure you could see yourself working there/living there for a few years.

Good luck.