View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 08:21 AM
Propeller
Crewroom Couch Warmer

Joined APC: Aug 2019
Position: 145 FO

Originally Posted by mirrorfogger View Post
ATP is an excellent place to flunk a check ride.

They started with a 90 day program. They were really hosing people then. Now it looks like it has doubled in length. Do tell.

ATP gets away with there garbage program because flying an airliner is an easy job backed up by a massive support system. It also has nothing to do with flying GA airplanes.

You can pump people through there ratings and the airline will teach them what they need to know.
Its amazing how much a place like ATP can make pilots hate flying GA, which is probably the most fun ever to be had in an airplane outside of work.

I went to ATP in 2012, I heard there have been some slight improvements over the years but it still looks largely the same. They just don't care about you at all. Looking back at my logbook theres one page where I had 3 checkrides in 6 flights, and I was constantly alternating between a Cessna 172 and the Piper Seminole. I was clueless and along for the ride but after instructing for several years I know now that making a student switch back and forth between two very different airplanes is exactly how to set them up for failure. I steer people away from ATP all the time but if financing is an absolute must, at least get the private single out of the way so that you have some outside experience before going into this pilot factory. The paper thin knowledge level given at ATP still holds true.