View Single Post
Old 05-27-2020, 12:01 PM
FullFlaps
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

Find a 141 school owned by a dpe or where the chief pilot is a dpe. If you live near a military base see if they have a flying club, usually if you join the civil air patrol they are allowed to take you on as a student. A lot if the instructors at military flight clubs are retired military pilots that have also flown for the airlines.

Find an instructor that wants to instruct and that you mesh with. A lot of instructors don't want to instruct and just want their 1500. At 200 bucks an hour (plane and instructor) you deserve someone that wants to be there.

ATP gives loans if you have a co-signer. So do all the airline run schools. Community colleges also have 2 year flight programs where you get all your ratings access to financing and an associate's. Liberty university has agreements with fbo's throughout the country and access to financing.

If you are young and want to serve, try to get a national guard spot as a pilot of just join the air guard for the gi bill benefits. See if you can get a pilot slot after getting all your ratings on the civilian side.

It'll cost you more than you thought and take longer than you thought to finish. Weather, dpe availability, aircraft availability, instructor availability, flight schools going under.... you'll see lol.

Im finishing my ratings now above is what I wish someone told me when I started.