View Single Post
Old 06-04-2020, 11:01 AM
ZippyNH
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Originally Posted by PreciousCargo View Post
Thank you all for the information. I have an ATP and am typed. I honestly have no desire to be a captain for any company walking in the door (I seriously dont think its worth the stress and I dont think I'm qualified now anyway) but how long are FOs waiting for upgrades typically?
FO typically upgrade at minimums....or less under their programs with waivers. All FO's except on the 120's are non required positions, and are carried to help them gain time and experience, and are thus an added expense, so are upgrade ASAP.
As such it's all over the board, some copilot's are in the ACP (Accelerated copilot's program) gaining time in anything to upgrade, some regular traditional copilot's, typically in the emb120, building time to upgrade at regular 135 limits.
Simply put, AMF hires Captain's. Honestly not sure a person with Captain's hours would be hired as a copilot....
Seniority is more of a tiebreaker, as people are hired, and can then hold the run they are hired for, used for bidding new run when open before they go public.... so after a upgrade seniority might decide between a upgrade vs a captain wanting to move. New Captain's pick before training, but copilot's are system pilot's, sent to gain experience ASAP, typically on the longest routes, then upgraded.
It's a different game the 121 in many ways. AMF is a bit more of a 121 style hybrid with a release system from a dispatch dept, so more support than some 135's, but typically expect to be single pilot 135 with a 6 pack, sometimes no GPS....the copilot is a plus, a help if assigned.