View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 08:25 AM
rickair7777
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by leftondelta View Post
I hadn't thought of the GI Bill when originally posting my question. I mentioned it to the wife in passing, and she said to double check because she didn't think she used all of it. After checking, sure enough, I have 9 months of benefits left, so it's a no brainer now.

Next is to look at what that remaining time benefit equates to. It'll definitely cover a CTP course. Wonder if what's left will cover a type as well (since I can't find anywhere that you can use GI Bill just for the ATP ride).

Thanks,
Things have changed since I was flight GI Bill admin, but you should be able to find a 141 ATP training program which would include the checkride. My understanding is the new rules (post 9/11) are more generous with ancillary costs too.

While you're at it, try to maximize the actual ME flight time in the program. The school may prefer to emphasize ground or even sim training which has a higher margin for them but doesn't do anything for your career.

Also find out who's doing the ride. Some 141 schools outsource thier 141 EOC's to DPEs... that's fine if it's all conducted under 141. But if you train 141 and then they send you to a DPE to do a part 61 ride, that's not ideal. If they use an outside DPE, research that guy's reputation... don't take a chance if he's sketchy. A stupid piston GA bust will haunt you forever.

Ask pointed questions and get direct answers, Don't let them BS you about the checkride and other costs only to find out that it's not covered at the end. DO NOT put any money on account up front, ESPECIALLY in times like these when schools may be struggling. Many flight schools may use YOUR deposit to pay bills which are 60 days in arrears... hoping another suck will make a deposit to pay for YOUR training when the time comes (if not, they chain the doors shut, walk away, liquidate, and start a new school on the other side of the field).