View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 08:32 AM
TiredSoul
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

The PPL requirements haven’t changed since like 1963 and Airspace and everything else has. Operations have become more complicated and require more practice to proficiency.
Here is an example from my own experience:

Startup, taxi and run up .3 hrs (18min)
Flight time to altitude and suitable practice area .2
Flight time back from practice area .2
Landing, taxi and shutdown .1 (6 min)

Out of a lesson of 1.5 hrs that leaves you 0.7 (42 min) of effective maneuver training time.
Yes, every take off, climb and cruise is practice but it is not “training time”.
So unless you operate out of a grass strip and can do steep turns at the departure end of your runway you will have “travelling time” that deducts from your total flight time.
Sometimes you also need some “straight and level” sight seeing time for comprehension or working through a rough spot or simply for enjoyment after a tough lesson.
We’re working with people here.
Also I can solo you at an isolated non towered airport which is the equivalent of driving in an empty parking lot but I’d you train out of a busy Class D or higher you’ll need a lot more practice before you can go on your own.
At my home airport the difference between calm and quiet and 3 jets of final could be 5 minutes. You’d simply have to be able to handle that.

* Why did you start in the middle of a pandemic by the way?