View Single Post
Old 06-23-2020, 09:03 AM
Av8tr1
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2014
Position: And hold

Originally Posted by flyingsailor View Post
I'm a a commercial (ASEL, AMEL, ASES) and CFI/CFII/MEI. At my current flying rate, I'll hit ATP mins in ~1 month (flying survey now). Given what'll be competitive in the current (non) hiring environment, I'm taking the CTP course on my own dime and will take the ATP written.

My question is should I continue on and take the ATP ride on my own dime as well? Just curious if the expenditure for the ATP ride is worth it, or wait until hiring resumes. I'm retired military (non-aviation) and since I didn't take time off after retiring and flying full time, I'm debating just taking a 4-5 month break from flying once the ATP written is done.

Thanks for any advice.
I'm doing the same. Waiting on VA approval for my 737 type rating. I don't see this as pay for training situation. I don't see paying for a ATP is really no different from paying for private, instrument, commercial, etc. It was that way for decades. It will make you stand out from others. Doesn't guarantee you a job but shows you put in the effort to exceed the minimum requirements if you go 135.